Global co-operation on financial reforms needed: IMF
Herziliya: International Monetary Fund (IMF) Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn has urged the US, Britain and other countries to cooperate on new policies and regulations in the wake of the financial crisis.
He told the annual Herziliya Conference on Sunday that at the onset of the crisis, world leaders were "scared" and agreed to work together to end the crisis. But now, countries are formulating policies on their own.
"That doesn`t work. The lesson of co-operation is still necessary," Strauss-Kahn said, citing US President Barack Obama`s plans to curb activities at major banks, particularly betting in financial markets with their own money.
"It is absolutely impossible to get out of the crisis without global solutions," he said. "I am not sure that`s the route on which we are."
He also said Britain was also committed to pressing ahead with financial regulations.
The global economic recovery is recovering faster than expected, leading the IMF to revise its growth estimates higher. But growth is being led by Asia and emerging markets, Strauss-Kahn said, noting that growth in West was being fueled largely by public spending, .
"Until private demand is strong, it is difficult to talk about a real strong recovery," he said.
Still, Strauss-Kahn cautioned against countries unwinding stimulus measures aimed at combating the downturn. Exiting too late can lead to higher debt but exiting too early may increase the risk of a double-dip recession, he said.
Such a case would pose large problems since policymakers have already used all their tools, he said.
Also, it wasn`t yet clear who would replace the decline in US consumer spending. Strauss-Kahn said that emerging market countries would not be able to compensate for lower U.S. spending as consumers have started to save more.
Strauss-Kahn praised Israel`s response to the crisis, saying the government and central bank reacted quickly with policies that limited the impact of the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'