Global warming 300 mn years ago ``triggered the arrival of the dinos``
London: Scientists have revealed that global warming devastated tropical rainforests 300 million years ago, which triggered an evolutionary burst among reptiles -- and inadvertently paved the way for the rise of dinosaurs, 100 million years later.
This event occurred during the Carboniferous Period. At that time, Europe and North America lay on the equator and were covered by steamy tropical rainforests.
But when the Earth`s climate became hotter and drier, rainforests collapsed, triggering reptile evolution.
Dr Howard Falcon-Lang of Royal Holloway, University of London, who carried out the research, revealed this global warming indirectly caused the evolution of mammals.
“We now know that this climate change caused the rainforests to fragment into small ``islands`` of forest,” the Daily Mail quoted Dr Howard Falcon-Lang of Royal Holloway, University of London, who carried out the research, as saying.
“This change isolated populations of reptiles and caused each community to evolve in a different direction leading to an increase in diversity.
“The global warming set in motion the process which led to the evolution of dinosaurs and produced different species which adapted to the climate in different ways.
“We have discovered for the first time how this evolution occurred after analysing hundreds of fossils from around the globe.
“This initial burst of global warming significantly affected the evolution of the world and led reptiles to evolve into dinosaurs, birds and mammals,” Falcon-Lang added.
The new findings were published in the journal Geology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price