Glover ends post-US Open golf title drought
Charlotte: Lucas Glover beat Jonathan Byrd at the first playoff hole to capture his first US PGA Tour title since his triumph at the 2009 US Open.
Glover capped his three-under final-round 69 at Quail Hollow with three straight pars for a 15-under total of 273.
He watched as Byrd drained a 15-foot birdie putt at the last hole of regulation to complete a 72 for 273 and force the playoff.
They returned to 18 for the playoff, where Byrd had to chip from the hazard and made bogey.
Glover could win with two putts from 25 feet and left the first one four feet short. He made that to claim his third career title, one that hadn`t seemed likely coming into the week after he missed the cut in his last three events.
"I`m elated," Glover said. "Any time you win, you`re pleased. It means you beat everybody. You did what you set out to do on Thursday morning when the bell rang.”
"Against this field and on this golf course and in a tournament of this magnitude, I`m thrilled."
South African Rory Sabbatini fired a final-round 65 for sole possession of third place on 274.
American Bill Haas carded a 70 for 275 and was followed by Kevin Na who shot a 71 for 276.
Glover, who started the last round three shots off Byrd`s overnight lead, moved atop the board with a 30-foot eagle putt at the par-five 10th.
A bogey at 12 was followed by a birdie at 13 -- then came another bogey and another birdie before his closing pars on Quail Hollow`s dangerous finishing holes.
At the final hole in regulation he was left off the tee and in the gallery. He was granted relief, but as he set up for the shot his ball rolled down the hill.
Glover got it over the green, chipped to seven feet and made it for par.
Byrd, knowing he needed a birdie to force the playoff, hit his approach to 15 feet and made it.
On a day that saw five players move atop the leaderboard, Byrd`s momentum had evaporated with back-to-back bogeys at eight and nine, two of his four bogeys on the day.
"I`m a little disappointed just because you`re here to win," Byrd said. "You love to compete, especially when you get in a playoff. You birdie the last, you feel like, `Hey, this is just going to work out.`”
"If I couldn`t win, I couldn`t pick anybody else I`d want to win other than Lucas, so I`m very happy for him."
Ireland`s Padraig Harrington wasn`t in contention, but he made news after his round was completed when he was informed that someone thought he had teed his ball ahead of the markers on the 13th tee box.
Harrington and playing partner Phil Mickelson went out to the tee, watched replays and decided there was no way to tell for sure.
While Harrington characteristically takes a penalty if he feels there`s a chance he did something wrong, he was certain this time he hadn`t.
"There`s just no way," he told a rules official on the 13th.
"If somebody asked me, I would have sworn I was six inches behind the marker," said Harrington, who had re-teed once to move the ball back before hitting on the par-three.
His 68 stood and he tied with Mickelson (69) for ninth place, five shots off the lead.
Harrington said he was comfortable with his decision, but added he`d be "falling off the back of the tee" in future to avoid any hint of confusion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday