Glowing tributes paid to former CM Shanmugham
Puducherry: Members of the treasury and opposition blocks Monday paid glowing tributes to former Chief Minister and senior Congress leader P Shanmugham who passed away in Karaikal on February 2.
Chief Minister N Rangasamy earlier tabled condolence resolutions mourning the death of Shanmugham and also former Union Minister Aravinda Balapazhanoor (AIADMK) who died on March 20 in U.S.A.
Pazhanoor, elected to the Lok Sabha consecutively in 1974 and 1977, was Steel Minister in the then Charan Singh headed cabinet in 1979.
Most members urged government to erect a statue of Shanmugham in a prominent locality. They referred to his unassuming nature and his contributions to development of Puducherry while thrice being a Lok Sabha Member and also during his tenure as Chief Minister for two terms.
Leader of the opposition V Vaithilingam recalled how he was groomed in politics by Shanmugham.
Welfare Minister P Rajavelu (AINRC) said the house where Shanmugham resided in Neduncadu and which the late leader had intended to be converted into a library should be taken over by government and the library project be made a reality.
All members stood in silence for some time in memory of Shanmugham and Aravinda Balapazhanoor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH