Goa: Cong`s decision on 4 candidates still on hold
Panaji: Although only two more days are left
to file nominations for the March 3 Goa polls, the Congress is
yet to announce its four candidates even as the party is
facing trouble from Trinamool Congress which is absorbing the
Congress, which is fighting polls by aligning with NCP
will be fighting on 33 seats. The party has already announced
its 29 candidates for the assembly elections but the decision
on crucial four constituencies Canacona, Sanvordem, Mormugao
and Fatorda - is still awaited.
Sources stated that the demand by muslim community for at
least one ticket has halted the announcement for four seats.
All Goa Muslim Forum Chief Coordinator Firoz Khan said
that the community wants representation in the state
"We had asked for four seats with the Congress but the
party told us that of the four constituencies we have chosen,
there are sitting MLAs in three of them. So we have said that
at least one constituency should be contested by a muslim
candidate," he added.
The community members earlier this week met Congress
leader Oscar Fernandes during his Goa visit.
The meeting remained inconclusive forcing other Congress
leaders like BK Hariprasad, Jagmit and Singh Brar to rush to
the state to solve the impasse.
Meanwhile, Trinamool Congress party has began absorbing
the Congress rivals who were denied ticket.
Veteran congressmen including Savio Coutinho, Sameer
Salgaoncar and NCP leader Pandurang Raut have joined the
Trinamool Congress party.
Coutinho will be contesting against Chief Minister
Digambar Kamat in Margao constituency while Salgaoncar will be
contesting in Mandrem and Raut in Bicholim constituency.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed