Goa polls: Congress MLA Victoria Fernandes quits
Panaji: Congress legislator Victoria Fernandes, who was not given party nomination for coming assembly polls in Goa, on Saturday, resigned from the party and the Assembly ahead of the March 3 polls.
"Congress` double speak on women`s reservation has been exposed through recent ticket distribution. I was the lone woman legislator in the House but still was denied ticket from my constituency. What right does Congress have to speak about women`s reservation"? She told PTI here after sending in her resignation to Speaker Pratapsinh Rane.
The ruling party, hit by a spate of dissensions over distribution of tickets and withdrawal of support by
Maharashtravadi Gomantak Party (MGP) from Digambar Kamat government, is, however, yet to take a call on Fernandes`
"The party leaders will decide on the resignation," Goa Pradesh Congress Committee general secretary Altinho Gomes
said in a terse acknowledgement of the development.
The effective strength of the 40-member Goa Assembly is brought down to 35 as three BJP legislators and a NCP MLA
have already put in their papers, besides Fernandes. Fernandes has fielded her son Rudolf as an independent from St Cruz constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam