Goa Regional Plan is a matter of concern: Sonia
Panaji: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Saturday assured the citizens of Goa that the controversial
regional plan document would be passed only after taking all
the stakeholders into confidence.
"Goa Regional Plan (RP) is a matter of concern for
many of you. The plan will be finalised only after taking into
account all the stakeholders," Gandhi said while addressing an
election rally at Fatorda here today.
The RP has become an election issue after Digambar
Kamat-led government had tried to pass the land use document,
which is allegedly full of several discrepancies.
Civil right groups have fielded their candidates in 12
constituencies, who have focused their poll campaign on the
issue of the Goa regional plan.
Gandhi recalled that during her last visit to Goa on
December 17, she had assured that the plan would not be
"forced" upon the people.
Talking about the controversial issue of the medium of
instruction in primary education in the state, Gandhi said
that parents should be able to decide, in which language their
children should study at the primary level.
Congress-led government`s decision to give grants to
the English medium schools had triggered a controversy in the
state. A section of people are demanding that grants should
only be given to schools in Indian languages.
During her 20-minute long speech, the Congress
president said that the party is committed to assessing the
implementation of assurances given to the people.
"It is my commitment that we present annual report
assessing implementation of manifesto, based on public
feedback," she said.
"The manifesto for Goa is before you. Our promises
and pledges reflect the vision meant to benefit all the
sections of Goa`s society, but of course, they are more
pointed towards weaker section, Scheduled Caste, Scheduled
Tribe, Woman and Youths," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!