Goa Regional Plan is a matter of concern: Sonia
Panaji: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Saturday assured the citizens of Goa that the controversial
regional plan document would be passed only after taking all
the stakeholders into confidence.
"Goa Regional Plan (RP) is a matter of concern for
many of you. The plan will be finalised only after taking into
account all the stakeholders," Gandhi said while addressing an
election rally at Fatorda here today.
The RP has become an election issue after Digambar
Kamat-led government had tried to pass the land use document,
which is allegedly full of several discrepancies.
Civil right groups have fielded their candidates in 12
constituencies, who have focused their poll campaign on the
issue of the Goa regional plan.
Gandhi recalled that during her last visit to Goa on
December 17, she had assured that the plan would not be
"forced" upon the people.
Talking about the controversial issue of the medium of
instruction in primary education in the state, Gandhi said
that parents should be able to decide, in which language their
children should study at the primary level.
Congress-led government`s decision to give grants to
the English medium schools had triggered a controversy in the
state. A section of people are demanding that grants should
only be given to schools in Indian languages.
During her 20-minute long speech, the Congress
president said that the party is committed to assessing the
implementation of assurances given to the people.
"It is my commitment that we present annual report
assessing implementation of manifesto, based on public
feedback," she said.
"The manifesto for Goa is before you. Our promises
and pledges reflect the vision meant to benefit all the
sections of Goa`s society, but of course, they are more
pointed towards weaker section, Scheduled Caste, Scheduled
Tribe, Woman and Youths," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Cricketer Dwayne Bravo to sing peppy number in Bollywood for 'Tum Bin 2'
- Coal India Limited's 66 coal mine projects facing delays
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat