Goa Regional Plan is a matter of concern: Sonia
Panaji: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Saturday assured the citizens of Goa that the controversial
regional plan document would be passed only after taking all
the stakeholders into confidence.
"Goa Regional Plan (RP) is a matter of concern for
many of you. The plan will be finalised only after taking into
account all the stakeholders," Gandhi said while addressing an
election rally at Fatorda here today.
The RP has become an election issue after Digambar
Kamat-led government had tried to pass the land use document,
which is allegedly full of several discrepancies.
Civil right groups have fielded their candidates in 12
constituencies, who have focused their poll campaign on the
issue of the Goa regional plan.
Gandhi recalled that during her last visit to Goa on
December 17, she had assured that the plan would not be
"forced" upon the people.
Talking about the controversial issue of the medium of
instruction in primary education in the state, Gandhi said
that parents should be able to decide, in which language their
children should study at the primary level.
Congress-led government`s decision to give grants to
the English medium schools had triggered a controversy in the
state. A section of people are demanding that grants should
only be given to schools in Indian languages.
During her 20-minute long speech, the Congress
president said that the party is committed to assessing the
implementation of assurances given to the people.
"It is my commitment that we present annual report
assessing implementation of manifesto, based on public
feedback," she said.
"The manifesto for Goa is before you. Our promises
and pledges reflect the vision meant to benefit all the
sections of Goa`s society, but of course, they are more
pointed towards weaker section, Scheduled Caste, Scheduled
Tribe, Woman and Youths," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory