Goa Speaker rules breach of privilege against two dailies
Panaji: Goa Legislative Assembly Speaker Pratapsingh Rane on Wednesday ruled a breach of privilege against two daily newspapers for misinterpreting the speech of a ruling legislator.
Congress legislator Agnelo Fernandes had moved the breach
of privilege motion against the two newspapers who had
reportedly misinterpreted his speech in their news items which
Fernandes said that while lambasting the police for their
failure on law and order front, he had said, "If this
goes on, this government will not be called the government of
`aam admi,` it will be called government of pimp and drug
The MLA said that it appears that some reporters at the
behest of their political masters were misinterpreting the
Ruling on the motion, the Speaker termed the mistake as
`serious`. The press has misinterpreted the speech of
honorable member Agnelo Fernandes which has sent wrong signals
to the public across the state, Rane said.
Communication of proceedings in the House is paramount
importance but freedom of press carries responsibility, he
"The said newspapers have no right to misinterpret the
speeches of members. I warn that both newspapers tender
their apology on prominent place for malafide misreporting,"
the Speaker ruled.
Rane also advised the journalists not to play Naradmuni
(saint known for creating quarrels in Hindu epics) "Don`t try
to become Naradmudis here. Dont try to bring misunderstanding
between ministers and Speaker," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!