Goa Speaker rules breach of privilege against two dailies
Panaji: Goa Legislative Assembly Speaker Pratapsingh Rane on Wednesday ruled a breach of privilege against two daily newspapers for misinterpreting the speech of a ruling legislator.
Congress legislator Agnelo Fernandes had moved the breach
of privilege motion against the two newspapers who had
reportedly misinterpreted his speech in their news items which
Fernandes said that while lambasting the police for their
failure on law and order front, he had said, "If this
goes on, this government will not be called the government of
`aam admi,` it will be called government of pimp and drug
The MLA said that it appears that some reporters at the
behest of their political masters were misinterpreting the
Ruling on the motion, the Speaker termed the mistake as
`serious`. The press has misinterpreted the speech of
honorable member Agnelo Fernandes which has sent wrong signals
to the public across the state, Rane said.
Communication of proceedings in the House is paramount
importance but freedom of press carries responsibility, he
"The said newspapers have no right to misinterpret the
speeches of members. I warn that both newspapers tender
their apology on prominent place for malafide misreporting,"
the Speaker ruled.
Rane also advised the journalists not to play Naradmuni
(saint known for creating quarrels in Hindu epics) "Don`t try
to become Naradmudis here. Dont try to bring misunderstanding
between ministers and Speaker," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement