Gold demand remains robust despite high prices in Q2`09: WGC
Mumbai: Despite the pressure on jewellery purchases because of high gold prices and the global economic downturn, demand for gold remained robust in Q2 09, the World Gold Council (WGC) said here.
"Investment demand for gold remained very strong in the second quarter of 2009, rising 46 per cent on year-earlier levels as investors continued a flight to quality. Overall demand for gold fell back from recent high levels as weak economic conditions and high gold prices combined to impact demand," according to the Q2 09 Gold Demand Trends report published today by the World Gold Council (WGC).
Although gold demand remains very high on a historical basis, total demand in Q2 09 was down 9 percent on the levels of a year-earlier, a 6 percent decline in dollar value terms to USD 21.3-billion.
In India, despite domestic economic pressures and sustained near record local gold prices, second quarter gold demand recovered from the exceptionally weak levels witnessed in the previous quarter, rising from 17.7-tonnes in Q1 09 to 109-tonnes in Q2 09. However, total demand remained well below year-earlier levels. Total gold off-take was down 38 percent on Q2 08, with jewellery, the largest component of demand, falling 31 percent, WGC said.
Retail investment demand returned to positive levels from the dishoarding seen during the first quarter, but was nevertheless weak in comparison to year-earlier totals.
Demand for bars and coins, at 21 tonnes, was less than half the 48.1 tonnes recorded in Q2 08.
Despite the recent near-record rupee prices, investor appetite and consumer affinity for gold remains healthy. While the most recent quarter-on quarter improvement was in large part a seasonal improvement, we expect a healthy rebound in activity. A stronger economic outlook than many regions, and the forthcoming festival season suggest that demand for gold will continue to build on recent trends," World Gold Council`s CEO, Aram Shishmanian, said.
"We expect consumers, investors and the trade to look for opportunities to buy following an exceptional period of profit-taking and de-stocking," Shishmanian said.
Although demand failed to match the exceptional levels seen in previous quarters, demand nevertheless remained very robust throughout the quarter.
Investment demand, in particular, witnessed a strong quarter and this indicates a growing recognition of gold as an important and independent asset class, he said.
The global economic downturn has certainly had a major impact on the purchasing power of gold consumers, as have the high local prices and dollar volatility. However, we continue to see pockets of solid demand in many non-western markets on dips in the gold price," Shishmanian said.
WGC expects consumers, particularly in India, to look for opportunities to buy back the jewellery that has been re-cycled over recent quarters.
The figures, compiled independently for WGC by GFMS Limited, show that total global identifiable investment demand for gold, which includes exchange traded funds (ETFs) and bars and coins, remained very strong.
Investment demand rose to 222 tonnes, a 46 percent increase on year-earlier levels, but below the extreme highs experienced during the previous three-quarters when the economic and financial crisis was at its peak.
The impact of high local gold prices (near record highs for consumers in some countries), at a time of severe global economic difficulty, led to a widespread decline in consumer demand for gold jewellery, down 22 percent compared to the same period in 2008.
Gold demand in Greater China in Q2 was up 9 percent on the levels of Q2 2008, equivalent to a 12 percent rise in dollar value terms.
Total demand for gold in the Middle-East fell by 18 percent in Q2 09 to 72 tonnes.
In the US, total gold off-take in Q2 09 was 10 percent above the levels of Q2 08, equivalent to a rise of 13 percent in dollar value terms, driven by retail investment demand which rose by 91 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly