GoM on Commonwealth Games meets
New Delhi: With focus now on fast tracking preparations for the Commonwealth Games just seven weeks away, a Group of Ministers met here on Sunday to consider various aspects of the opening ceremony of the mega sporting event.
It is the first meeting of the GoM after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh directly stepped in on Saturday convening an emergency meeting on review of preparations for the mega sporting event in the wake of the alleged corruption scandals that has hit the Games and missed deadlines for the readiness of several stadia in the Capital.
The clutch of ministers, headed by Urban Development Minister S Jaipal Reddy, discussed in detail the broad contours of the opening ceremony.
"Primarily the focus is on delivery of the Games and preparation of the various items required for the opening ceremony," Reddy told reporters ahead of the meeting.
The others in the GoM include Sports Minister MS Gill. Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi--under flak over allegations of corruption and irregularities--also attended the meeting.
Oscar-winning music director A R Rahman made a presentation of his theme song for the Commonwealth Games at the meeting.
Sources said the idea was to ensure that the song becomes a sensation like his own `Jai Ho` composed for the film "Slumdog Millionaire" and Soccer World Cup theme song `Waka Waka`.
The GoM has now been empowered to take all necessary decisions for the smooth conduct of the event.
The GoM has been directed by the Prime Minister to meet immediately and frequently thereafter.
Cabinet Secretary K M Chandrasekhar was also directed to liaise closely with the Group of Ministers to ensure "effective coordination" among all the authorities concerned.
At the meeting, the GoM was empowered to take all decisions necessary for the smooth conduct of the Games and refer any matter that may require further consideration to Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee for a final decision.
The Cabinet will be briefed on the state of preparations on a weekly basis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Gadkari to meet FM Jaitley today for vehicle scrapping policy
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload
- Amarinder Singh makes fresh offer to Navjot Singh Sidhu, says he has Congress in his DNA
- Rio 2016: After golden Olympic run, Justin Rose returns to regular job