Google CEO Schmidt to quit Apple board
New York: Google Inc Chief Executive Eric Schmidt is resigning from Apple Inc`s board of directors, the companies said, citing increased competition between the two leading technology companies.
The move, which Apple CEO Steve Jobs said was mutually agreed upon, comes amid increased regulatory scrutiny of the relationship between Google, the No. 1 Internet search company in the U.S., and Apple, the maker of iPhones and Mac computers
Jobs said on Monday that with Google`s recent introduction of a computer operating system, "now is the right time" for Schmidt to step down from Apple`s board.
Last month, Google revealed plans for software for personal computers based on its Chrome Web browser, which would compete with Microsoft Corp`s Windows as well as Apple`s OS X system.
At the time, Schmidt said he would talk to Apple about possibly recusing himself from its board. The Google executive has been on Apple`s board since 2006.
"Unfortunately, as Google enters more of Apple`s core businesses, with Android (software for mobile phones) and now Chrome OS, Eric`s effectiveness as an Apple Board member will be significantly diminished, since he will have to recuse himself from even larger portions of our meetings due to potential conflicts of interest," Jobs said in a statement.
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is looking into whether ties between their boards violate antitrust laws. Schmidt and former Genentech CEO Arthur Levinson are directors of both companies.
The move also comes days after the Federal Communications Commission said it is looking into Apple`s decision to reject Google`s voice application for the iPhone. Google Voice allows users to store transcripts of voicemail messages in their email inbox and find specific information within a phone message.
Both Apple`s and Google`s shares moved higher in morning Nasdaq trading, with Apple climbing 1.7 percent to $166.10, and Google shares rising 1.6 percent to $450.11.
Microsoft shares also rose, gaining 1 percent to $23.76. The Nasdaq Composite Index was up 0.6 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof