Google to turn your smartphones into credit cards!
London: Web giant Google has masterminded a mobile phone that doubles as a wallet.
Instead holding up checkout queues as customers rifle through their purses to find the right card, they will simply swipe the phone past an electronic reader to pay.
And experts claim it is a safer method of payment than magnetic strip credit cards, reports the Daily Mail.
Google has teamed up with Citigroup and Mastercard to develop the mobile payment system specifically for the Android phone.
They have also consulted VeriFone Systems, which makes credit card readers for cash registers.
The phone will also store shopping habits and trends so that retailers and businesses can more efficiently target consumers with discounts and advertisements.
Google is not expected to get a cut of the transaction fees, according to Wall Street Journal.
Initially, holders of Citigroup-issued debit and credit cards would be allowed to pay for purchases by activating a mobile payment application developed for one current model and many coming models of Android phones, it said.
Experts have claimed that it is safer method of payment than the traditional credit card.
“Because it`s contact-less there`s a perception people can grab it from thin air, but it`s actually a more sophisticated technology than credit cards with a magnetic stripe, making it more difficult to steal a consumer`s payment information,” said Nick Holland, a mobile-transactions analyst at Yankee Group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Vodafone launches 4G services in Haryana; get 20 GB data at just Rs 999
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital