Google to turn your smartphones into credit cards!
London: Web giant Google has masterminded a mobile phone that doubles as a wallet.
Instead holding up checkout queues as customers rifle through their purses to find the right card, they will simply swipe the phone past an electronic reader to pay.
And experts claim it is a safer method of payment than magnetic strip credit cards, reports the Daily Mail.
Google has teamed up with Citigroup and Mastercard to develop the mobile payment system specifically for the Android phone.
They have also consulted VeriFone Systems, which makes credit card readers for cash registers.
The phone will also store shopping habits and trends so that retailers and businesses can more efficiently target consumers with discounts and advertisements.
Google is not expected to get a cut of the transaction fees, according to Wall Street Journal.
Initially, holders of Citigroup-issued debit and credit cards would be allowed to pay for purchases by activating a mobile payment application developed for one current model and many coming models of Android phones, it said.
Experts have claimed that it is safer method of payment than the traditional credit card.
“Because it`s contact-less there`s a perception people can grab it from thin air, but it`s actually a more sophisticated technology than credit cards with a magnetic stripe, making it more difficult to steal a consumer`s payment information,” said Nick Holland, a mobile-transactions analyst at Yankee Group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown