Goss wins Tour Down Under cycling opener
Adelaide: Tasmanian Matthew Goss maintained his fine early season form by winning the first stage of the Tour Down Under ahead of sprint rival and reigning champion Andre Greipel.
Germany`s Greipel, who has won the overall title twice, finished in second place for his new team Omega-Pharma with Australian Robbie McEwen of RadioShack in third.
Held over 138 kilometres (85 miles) from Mawson Lakes to Angaston in the hilly wine region outside Adelaide, the first stage proper was marked by an early five-man breakaway.
They were reeled in with less than 10 km remaining, guaranteeing a bunch sprint on a slightly uphill home straight where Goss jumped out from behind the wheel of lead-out man Mark Renshaw to surge to a convincing victory.
It was Goss`s second win of the race, the Australian having also won the pre-race criterium over 51 km on Sunday which does not count towards the overall standings.
American Tour de France icon Lance Armstrong, the winner of seven yellow jerseys, will bring the curtain down on his career when the race finishes Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery