Govt bullying federations to agree to Sports Bill: IOA
New Delhi: The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) outrightly rejected the proposed National Sports Development Bill and said some associations and federations sided with Sports Ministry because of the "arm-twisting" and "bullying" by the Government.
In its Executive Committee meeting here, the IOA unanimously decided to reject the sports bill and said they are awaiting a written response from the International Olympic Committee on the proposed bill, which they would forward to the government.
"All the members were present today and it was unanimously decided that we reject the proposed sports bill," V K Malhotra, Officiating President of the IOA, said.
"This draconian bill is illegal, unconstitutional and against the IOC charter. Some state association and federations have given its undertaking to accept the bill only under pressure. They are being bullied and arm-twisted by the government.
"Sport associations need government support for Visa, to send teams outside, conduct camps, sponsorship and many other things and it is only under this pressure that they have agreed to it," he added.
IOA secretary general Randhir Singh said they are waiting for a written reply from the IOC.
"We have sent the proposed draft to the IOC and we are waiting for a written reply from them. Once we receive that, we will forward that to the government. Hopefully we will also meet the Prime Minister and the Sport Minister regarding this soon," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video