Govt considering to cancel NTPC`s Rs 2K-cr order to TPE
New Delhi: In the face of alleged multi-crore rupee kickback, which is being probed by CBI, the government is considering cancelling power PSU NTPC`s Rs 2,000-crore contract with a Russian equipment firm.
When asked whether the contract for importing equipment
to Russian firm Technopromexports (TPE) would be cancelled,
Power Minister Shushilkumar Shinde told an agency, "I can not
comment as the matter is with the Cabinet."
NTPC had given the contract to TPE in 2005, when the PSU
was headed by CP Jain, for supplying equipment to a power
project in Bihar.
Sources in the know, however, said that the Ministry of
Power has sent a proposal to the Cabinet for cancelling the
The CBI had registered a case in 2006 against unknown
officials of NTPC, TPE and unknown others, a CBI spokesperson
said when asked if the issue is being probed.
The three-year-old CBI investigations into the alleged
irregularities in awarding of the contract is yet to be
completed as the agency is still awaiting information from the
UK and Latvia.
"The CBI has issued Letters Rogatory (LRs) through the
competent courts for investigation and information to the UK
"Since the complete information has not been received
from abroad, the investigation is yet to be completed," CBI
spokesperson Harsh Bhal told an agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?