Govt considering to cancel NTPC`s Rs 2K-cr order to TPE
New Delhi: In the face of alleged multi-crore rupee kickback, which is being probed by CBI, the government is considering cancelling power PSU NTPC`s Rs 2,000-crore contract with a Russian equipment firm.
When asked whether the contract for importing equipment
to Russian firm Technopromexports (TPE) would be cancelled,
Power Minister Shushilkumar Shinde told an agency, "I can not
comment as the matter is with the Cabinet."
NTPC had given the contract to TPE in 2005, when the PSU
was headed by CP Jain, for supplying equipment to a power
project in Bihar.
Sources in the know, however, said that the Ministry of
Power has sent a proposal to the Cabinet for cancelling the
The CBI had registered a case in 2006 against unknown
officials of NTPC, TPE and unknown others, a CBI spokesperson
said when asked if the issue is being probed.
The three-year-old CBI investigations into the alleged
irregularities in awarding of the contract is yet to be
completed as the agency is still awaiting information from the
UK and Latvia.
"The CBI has issued Letters Rogatory (LRs) through the
competent courts for investigation and information to the UK
"Since the complete information has not been received
from abroad, the investigation is yet to be completed," CBI
spokesperson Harsh Bhal told an agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened