Govt earmarks around 260 crore for Olympic preparations
New Delhi: The government on Wednesday announced that it has earmarked Rs 258.39 crore for the preparation of athletes for the London Olympics, under ``Project Opex 2012``.
Sports Minister Ajay Maken, while addressing a press meet, said the estimated amount is for a period of 16 months, starting April 2011. 16 disciplines, identified by the government for systematic and scientific training, will benefit from the programme.
The performance of Indian athletes at the Commonwealth and Asian Games made basis for the identification of the disciplines for the scheme. The 16 disciplines identified are: Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Boxing, Gymnastics, Hockey, Judo, Rowing, Sailing, Shooting, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Tennis, Weightlifting and Wrestling.
Maken said the Steering Committee of the ministry has finalised action plans in all 16 identified disciplines. In the first round of meeting, the list of core probables, foreign and Indian coaches, support personnel, duration and venues of National Coaching Camps, International exposures and qualifying competitions have been identified.
The strategic planning for qualifying tournaments are being prepared by the national coaches in consultation with foreign coaches. A total of 28 foreign coaches have been selected for engagement. 17 coaches have joined and 11 are in the process of joining.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference