Govt earns Rs 8,307.85 cr revenue from mobile companies
New Delhi: The government earned Rs 8,307.85
crore from mobile telecom operators by way of licence fees in
2008-09, Parliament was informed on Monday.
During the first six months (up to the second quarter of
the current fiscal) of 2009-10, the Department of Telecom has
already collected Rs 4,112.30 crore, Minister of State for
Telecom and IT Gurudas Kamat said in a written reply to the
Bharti Airtel has paid the maximum licence fee of Rs
2,246.27 crore for 2008-09.
Mobile operators pay 6-10 per cent of their respective
adjusted gross revenue (AGR) to the government as licence fee
depending on the circle in which they operate.
The revenue has been steady rising going by the figures
of DoT as the operators expanded network and earned more
In 2006-07, the government collected Rs 5,988.87 crore
while in 2007-08, it was 7,289.76 crore.
The government raised a demand Rs 85.48 crore from
various mobile players due to annual assessment of licences
with a maximum of Rs 48.55 crore from Reliance Communication.
He said there is no proposal to appoint an ombudsman for
the telecom sector to settle grievances.
Kamat said the government had ordered special audit of
some private telecom operators which include audit of revenue
from bundled handset packages.
"Out of the special auditors appointed by the government,
only one has submitted its report so far. The Department is
presently examining the report and will take action as per its
findings," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA