Govt may give cash subsidy to oil firms
New Delhi: State oil companies may get cash instead of oil bonds as compensation from the government for selling fuel at below market prices, the petroleum secretary said on Thursday.
"Most likely it (subsidy) is going to be cash," R.S. Pandey told reporters after a meeting with Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
He said no decision had been taken on the quantum of compensation to be given by the finance minister.
"Discussions were held and we hope to hear from them soon," Pandey said.
The oil ministry had sought 200 billion rupees ($4.4 billion) of bonds for state-run firms as compensation for 2009/10, following an upward swing in global crude prices, S. Sundareshan, the No. 2 official in the oil ministry, had said last month.
The government has been issuing bonds to cover losses at state oil refiners like Indian Oil Corp and Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd, which are required to sell fuel at lower than market price to control inflation and help the poor.
In the fiscal year ended March 2009, the oil subsidy was 758.5 billion rupees as high global crude prices had inflated state-run oil firms` losses.
The oil bonds have swelled debt for the federal government, which is struggling with 16-year high fiscal deficit and record market borrowing of 4.51 trillion rupees for the fiscal year to March 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday