Govt medical college gets MCI nod for admission
Puducherry: The Medical Council of India has granted approval to the Puducherry government run Indira Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute to admit the
second batch of students for MBBS course (2011-2012 session).
Announcing this at a press conference here today, Chief
Minister N Rangasamy said a communication to this effect from
MCI was received earlier today.
"We are now facilitated to admit 150 students (sanctioned
strength) for the second batch of students into MBBS course in
the college which was started last year and had admitted the
first batch surmounting several odds," he said.
MCI had earlier informed the government subsequent to
inspection of facilities in the college that there were some
deficiencies in faculty and equipment.
Admission of second batch was not approved earlier. But the
government had rectified the deficiencies and has now obtained
Rangasamy said the college would continue to offer `free
education` for students joining the MBBS course.
The college was inaugurated by AICC leader Sonia Gandhi in
October 2010 during her visit to Puducherry. This is the first
Puducherry State government run medical college.
Rangasamy said he would allocate necessary funds for the
college for posting professors and erection of necessary
infrastructures for future expansion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands