Govt revises tax information exchange treaty
New Delhi: Government has approached 65 countries, including Switzerland and tax haven nations, to revise a tax information exchange treaty with them to include fresh details while sharing bank-related information of individuals and other entities.
The Finance Ministry has initiated the move under the existing Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) as Indian tax authorities are looking to curb illegal stashing of money by individuals and others in foreign shores.
According to top sources in the Foreign Taxation division of the Finance Ministry, the government is revising DTAAs to "specifically" provide for information on bank-related information, especially in certain "specific cases".
"The bank-related data will enable Indian authorities to check tax evasion and illegal stashing of money in foreign shores by individuals and some other entities. The details on bank-related information is not properly addressed in the present DTAA," a senior Finance Ministry officer said.
Under the present tax avoidance treaty, the "Union government may enter into an agreement with the government of any country outside India for exchange of information for prevention of evasion or avoidance of income-tax chargeable under this Act (Income Tax Act) or under the corresponding law in force in that country, or investigation of cases of such evasion or avoidance, or for recovery of income-tax under this Act and under the corresponding law in force in that country."
Government is also in the process of setting up overseas tax units in countries like France, UAE, USA, Britain, Netherlands, Japan, Cyprus and Germany. Two such units in Mauritius and Singapore have already become operational.
Currently, government has DTAA agreement with 65 countries.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed