Govt scraps 18 special economic zones
New Delhi: The government Tuesday informed the Lok Sabha that 18 special economic zones have been scrapped on the back of developers being impacted by the global economic slowdown.
"Requests for de-notification by the developers have been approved by the Board of Approval (BoA) in respect of 18 SEZs...," Minister of State for Commerce and Industry Jyotiraditya Scindia informed the Lok Sabha in a written reply.
Scindia said that global economic slowdown has been cited as the "main reason for the request for de-notification".
If a SEZ is de-notified, the developers have to return all the fiscal benefits (if they have availed any) before they could exit their projects.
The BoA, is an inter-ministerial body headed by Commerce Secretary Rahul Khullar.
Replying to another query, Scindia said approval for 349 proposals for IT/ITES/Electronic Hardware related SEZs has been given, of which 221 have been notified.
"A total of 69 (IT) SEZs are already exporting," Scindia said.
A total of 576 tax free zones have been approved by the BoA, of which 114 are operational.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report