Govt tables Liberhan report on Babri demolition in Parliament
New Delhi: Facing opposition ire, the government on Tuesday tabled the Liberhan report on Babri Masjid demolition, along with the action taken report (ATR) in the Parliament.
The report was tabled by the Home Minister P Chidambaram in the Lok Sabha amid continuing uproar from the opposition benches. The details of the report are not yet know due to the limited copies of the report.
The decision to table the report was taken by the Union Cabinet after it held an emergency meeting over the issue here early today.
In the absence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who is in the US, the meeting was chaired by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and attended by his cabinet colleagues including Home Minister P Chidambaram and Defence Minister AK Antony.
The Cabinet has, as per expectations, fine-tuned the action taken report (ATR) to be submitted along with the Liberhan report, before approving it.
Incidentally, Congress president Sonia Gandhi had also gone into a huddle with Pranab, Chidambaram and Antony to decide on the government’s next step in view of the brouhaha over the leakage and findings of the politically volatile report.
The leakage of the Commission`s report rocked Parliament yesterday. The leaked excerpts of the report had indicted, amongst others, BJP’s tallest leader Atal Bihari Vajpayee, LK Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi for the 1992 demolition of Babri Masjid.
The main opposition BJP accused the government of "selectively leaking" the report which is believed to have indicted its top leaders for the demolition of the structure.
Congress had hit back saying the whole nation knows that the BJP had shed "crocodile tears" after its senior functionaries had watched people causing destruction and mayhem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- `IS child bomber` behind Turkey wedding blast, claims President
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon