Govt tables Liberhan report on Babri demolition in Parliament
New Delhi: Facing opposition ire, the government on Tuesday tabled the Liberhan report on Babri Masjid demolition, along with the action taken report (ATR) in the Parliament.
The report was tabled by the Home Minister P Chidambaram in the Lok Sabha amid continuing uproar from the opposition benches. The details of the report are not yet know due to the limited copies of the report.
The decision to table the report was taken by the Union Cabinet after it held an emergency meeting over the issue here early today.
In the absence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who is in the US, the meeting was chaired by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and attended by his cabinet colleagues including Home Minister P Chidambaram and Defence Minister AK Antony.
The Cabinet has, as per expectations, fine-tuned the action taken report (ATR) to be submitted along with the Liberhan report, before approving it.
Incidentally, Congress president Sonia Gandhi had also gone into a huddle with Pranab, Chidambaram and Antony to decide on the government’s next step in view of the brouhaha over the leakage and findings of the politically volatile report.
The leakage of the Commission`s report rocked Parliament yesterday. The leaked excerpts of the report had indicted, amongst others, BJP’s tallest leader Atal Bihari Vajpayee, LK Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi for the 1992 demolition of Babri Masjid.
The main opposition BJP accused the government of "selectively leaking" the report which is believed to have indicted its top leaders for the demolition of the structure.
Congress had hit back saying the whole nation knows that the BJP had shed "crocodile tears" after its senior functionaries had watched people causing destruction and mayhem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!