Govt to regulate free movement of ammonium nitrate
New Delhi: The government has decided to
control free movement of ammonium nitrate in order to restrict
its use as explosives by terrorists.
Efforts are being made to bring the substance under
the purview of Explosive Substances Act to regulate its use
and a Bill in this regard is likely to be tabled in Parliament
during the Monsoon Session, Home Ministry officials said.
"A Bill on this is likely to be tabled in Parliament
during the Monsoon Session," a Home Ministry official said.
The decision to introduce the Bill assumes
significance after Central security agencies found that
ammonium nitrate was being used by terror groups in carrying
out blasts, including the triple explosions which rocked
Mumbai on Wednesday.
Traces of ammonium nitrate were found from the blast
sites at Zaveri Bazar, Opera House and Dadar in the country`s
Security agencies and several state police forces have
also been calling for measures to check misuse of the
At present, ammonium nitrate does not come under the
purview of Explosive Substances Act as it is widely used in
fertilisers and any ban on it may result in adverse effect on
The Home Ministry is also coordinating with state
governments to frame elaborate rules under the Act to
strengthen the framework for regulating manufacture, storage,
transport and sale of explosives.
The "in-principle" approval for the amendment of the
Act has already been given by the Union Cabinet at its special
meeting in the aftermath of the Delhi blasts in 2008.
Some suggestions have already been given to states to
check use and trading of ammonium nitrate to ensure that it
does not land into wrong hands, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam