Govt urged to keep vigil on safety aspect of school buses
Puducherry: Members of both ruling and opposition parties on Saturday urged government to instruct the Directorate of School Education to conduct frequent inspections of buses used on contract basis for transporting students to and from educational institutions.
Raising the demand for proper vigil on the fitness and soundness of private buses operating on contract basis, AIADMK member A Anbalagan said most buses of private fleet operators are more than 10 years old. Government should ensure there is no room for any deficiency and adhere to the norms the Madras High court had stipulated for school buses, he said.
He recalled that a Puducherry school bus operating under inter State facility was impounded by Tamil Nadu police at nearby Auroville recently for want of proper documents.
Autorickshaws too were carrying more than the stipulated number of children, he said.
Another AIADMK member Ohm Sakthi Segar who concurred with this view said a bus with a government Law college bus was was detained in Auroville for want of proper documents. Government should not be slack and there was every need to ensure safety of students, he said.
AINRC legislators P Karthikeyan and PR Siva also wanted proper vigil on the school buses.
Replying to the members` views and concerns, Education Minister T Thiagarajan said no stone would be left unturned to ensure fitness of vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!