`Govt`s move to change history caused tension in Miraj-Sangli`
Pune: The Maharashtra government`s attempt
to change history and negate the glorious role of Chhatrapati
Shivaji was responsible for the current tension in
Miraj-Sangli and other parts of Western Maharashtra, senior
BJP leader Gopinath Munde alleged here on Tuesday.
Munde, who arrived in the city late last night after
being detained at Lonavala for some hours by police who have
banned his entry into Satara and Sangli districts, told a
press conference that the Congress-NCP government in the state
was trying to write a "secular history" in Maharashtra.
"The arch depicting a historical scene from life of
Shivaji was not allowed to be erected in Miraj leading to
trouble," Munde said referring to the September 3 communal
riot in the town on `Anantchaturdashi day` when Ganesh
immersion procession was in progress.
The arch on which a scene showing murder of Mogul knight
Afzulkhan by warrior king Shivaji was painted by pro-Hindutva
organisations, became a bone of contention resulting clashes
between two groups with violence spilling over to adjoining
Munde said police were trying to bring the explosive
situation under control by using repressive methods leading to
escalation of tension.
"Sarvajanik Ganesh idols are being forcefully immersed
using municipal garbage vans in Miraj leading to anger and
anguish among the people and volunteers of mandals", he
alleged, adding that as many as 110 idols were yet to be
traditionally immersed in the town.
Munde alleged that the government was deliberately trying
to give a communal angle to the situation and objected to
certain references in the police notice served on him banning
his entry into the troubled districts.
He said BJP had no intention of deriving political
mileage from the unfortunate situation and he would attend the
all party meetings convened by state Chief Minister Ashok
Chavan in Mumbai today to restore peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan