Goya leads as Tour returns to Czech Republic
Buenos Aires: Argentine Tano Goya shot a seven-under par 65 to lead by one stroke after the first round of the Moravia Silesia Open.
The 21-year-old was ahead of Britons John Bickerton and Steve Webster at the Prosper Golf Resort as the European Tour returned to the Czech Republic for the first time in 12 years.
Goya, who claimed his first European Tour win at the Madeira Islands Open in March, got off to a fine start as he started on the back nine holes and breezed through them in 30 strokes.
"I was always on the green for a birdie chance," he told the Tour`s official web site after a round that included six birdies and one eagle.
"If you aren`t on the greens here with the slopes it is difficult... The key was hitting the greens."
Miguel Angel Jimenez, among the favourites at the event in the Czech north-east, was off the pace on one-under par.
The Spaniard helped design the layout and is aiming to become only the second golfer to win a Euro Tour event on a course he designed.
However, his first-hand knowledge of the course failed to provide an advantage on the first day.
"I missed a few shots in the last few holes," Jimenez said. "Anything under par is good. If I could have birdied a few more it would have been better."
The Ryder Cup player finished joint 13th at the British Open Championship in Turnberry earlier this month.
European Tour rookie Chris Wood, who was third at The Open, also slipped off the pace in Celadna at one-under-par.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report