GPP should withdraw its candidate from Maninagar: Shweta bhatt
Ahmedabad; Congress candidate from Maninagar, Shweta Bhatt, Sunday appealed Keshubhai Patel-led Gujarat Parivartan Party to withdraw its candidate from the fray.
Bhatt, the wife of suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt, is contesting the election against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi from Maninagar.
The constituency is considered to be a BJP stronghold.
"I appeal to all the political parties which oppose BJP to support me in my political battle against the Gujarat Chief Minister... I appeal especially to GPP Chief Keshubhai Patel to withdraw his candidate," Bhatt told reporters.
In her maiden press conference, Bhatt said, "I am confident that Keshubhai will accept my appeal."
"I am not fighting this political battle for myself alone ... I am fighting it on behalf of entire Gujarat, so those who have faith in Indian constitution and democracy... Political outfits and individuals should support me," she said.
On being asked if she had a chance against Modi, Bhatt said, "Absolutely. I am going to win this election.
"I am a very new entrant into politics... I have come with a true heart, to speak the truth, and want to do something."
Asked what would be her response if Keshubhai Patel made a counter appeal, Bhatt said, "So far no such appeal has been made from GPP. If it comes, we would see."
Replying to a query about complaint filed in a Lucknow court that her husband violated service rules by accompanying her to file nomination, Bhatt said, "I am an Indian woman and would expect my husband to support me in my endeavours. He came to extend moral support to his wife."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands