Grand slam winners go out as Sharapova advances
Mason: Grand slam title holders Li Na and Petra Kvitova were knocked out of the Cincinnati Open while Russia`s Maria Sharapova and Vera Zvonareva moved into the quarter-finals.
Australia`s Samantha Stosur defeated French Open winner Li for the second successive week with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 win to set up a last eight showdown with Sharapova.
Stosur is hitting some good form in the run up to the US Open, where she reached the quarter-finals last year.
The 10th seeded Australian was runner-up in Toronto last week and with the field wide open in Cincinnati has a real chance at her third career WTA title.
"It would be the biggest title I`ve ever won," Stosur told reporters. "It would be fantastic but there is still a fair way to go before that can happen.”
"I guess making the final last week gives me good confidence going into this week."
Wimbledon champion Kvitova fell to emerging German Andrea Petkovic, ranked 11th in the world, who enjoyed a 6-3, 6-3 win in front of a smattering of fans on an outside court.
At the same time, on centre court, Sharapova was making quick work of her compatriot Svetlana Kuznetsova in a 6-2, 6-3 victory.
"I felt really good considering I was playing a pretty tough opponent," said Sharapova. "We`ve had really tough matches in the past, usually three setters. So it was quite nice to get that win in two."
"She`s someone who has a tremendous amount of experience and is a really solid player, always dangerous."
World number two Zvonareva crunched Croatian qualifier Petra Martic 6-2, 6-2.
Another Russian Nadia Petrova enjoyed a 6-3, 6-3 victory over American teenager Christine McHale, who upset world number one Caroline Wozniacki in the second round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened