Great to be the chosen one, to be in the league: Narang
New Delhi: Gagan Narang was as pleased as punch after being bestowed with the Padma Shree award and said the honour will spur him to achieve greater deeds in the upcoming tournaments.
Narang, star cricketer VVS Laxman and world champion wrestler Sushil Kumar were among the seven sportspersons who were today honoured with the prestigious award for their contribution in their respective sports.
"It feels great to be honoured with the award, to be the chosen one, and to be in the league (of sportspersons who have been bestowed with the award)," an elated Narang told reporters.
"This will motivate me to give my best and do better in future tournaments," he said.
"I am already looking forward to the year 2011 and will then think about 2012 (the year of the Olympics)," the Hyderabadi added.
Asked if his achievements and the rewards that followed would inspire more youngsters to take up shooting seriously, Narang said, "Any award is inspiring. The government is doing a lot towards that."
Asked if he would like to thank anyone on his day of glory, Narang said the list is endless.
"It would not be fair to thank just one person. Whatever I have achieved today is because of all the blessings and well-wishes of everyone -- my parents, my coaches, the federation. Sahara and Air India," Narang said.
Laxman, who also hails from Hyderabad, lauded the shooter`s achievements saying that he deserved the award.
"It`s great that Gagan also has been bestowed with this award. The kind of achievements he has got for so many years, he deserves that," Laxman said.
Narang reiterated that the `Gun for Glory`, an academy which he is set to launch at the Balewadi Shooting Range in Pune, is his way of giving something back to the sport which has given him so much.
The academy has been conceptualised with the "aim" to provide India with more number of medals in the 2016 Olympics.
Narang had a memorable 2010, winning four gold medals in the Commonwealth Games and two silver in the Guangzhou Asian Games. He had also won four gold in the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games.
Narang, whose success story began with a gold medal in the Afro Asian Games in 2003, won a gold in ISSF World Cup in 2006 and a bronze in the 2008 edition. He also won gold in the 2008 ISSF World Cup final in Bangkok where he scored a world
record 703.5 in 10 metre air rifle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation