Greece striker Ioannis Amanatidis to miss finals
Greece: Highly rated Greece attacker Ioannis Amanatidis has made it clear that he won`t be fully recovered in time to play at this summer`s World Cup. The Eintracht Frankfurt forward is currently sidelined due to a knee injury.
"I have made the decision not to play at this summer`s World Cup and I won`t change my decision in the coming weeks," Amanatidis was quoted as saying by reporters.
"I`m still not match fit after my knee injury and there`s no way that I will be fully match fit when the World Cup kicks off in six weeks. It doesn`t make any sense to travel to South Africa to play only 10 minutes or so.
"I`ve already informed national team coach Otto Rehhagel about my decision. There`s still time to think about a good replacement."
Greece will have to deal with Argentinia, Nigeria and South Korea in the group phase of this summer`s showpiece.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?