Gritty Wozniacki sees off Schiavone to make semi-finals
Melbourne: Caroline Wozniacki dragged herself back from the brink to power into the semi-finals of the Australian Open with a gritty 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over a dogged Francesca Schiavone on Tuesday.
Down a set and trailing 3-1, the Danish top seed shifted up a gear and burned through the next five games, sealing the second set when the Italian pushed a weak return down the tram-lines at Rod Laver Arena.
The 30-year-old Schiavone battled hard in the third, but the strain of her record-breaking marathon against Russia`s Svetlana Kuznetsova appeared to show as she gifted her opponent easy points with a raft of sprayed volleys and miscued drop-shots.
The feisty Italian saved three match points and broke back to trail 5-3, but surrendered after 144 minutes on a fourth match point when her backhand flew just wide.
Wozniacki will play China`s Li Na for a place in the final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi