Guj HC directs GPCB to be vigilant on polluting units
Ahmedabad: The High Court here has directed
Gujarat Pollution Control Board (GPCB) to report industrial
units causing environmental pollution to respective district
principal judges who will then form committee to assess damage
and compensation for victims.
The order was issued by a division bench of Chief Justice
K S Radhakrishnan and Justice Akil Kureshi last week while
hearing a petition of one Kalusinh Solanki of Boriya Khurad
village in Sabarkantha district.
Solanki in his petition had raised grievances about the
"inefficiency and incapacity" of the GPCB officers to control
contamination of underground water in his village, thereby
causing serious health hazards.
Solanki had approached the court seeking direction to
authorities to take appropriate steps to check and curb
pollution of underground water at Boriya Khurad village and to
take action against polluting industrial units, erring GPCB
officers and take steps for consequential reliefs.
In its order the court said the committees formed by the
district judges would assess compensation and submit its
report. The District Judge would then examine and decide about
the damage caused to the environment and direct payment of a
reasonable amount to the `Environment Fund` to be maintained
by the State Government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!