Guj HC imposes fine on truckers` association for misuse of PIL
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court has imposed
a fine of Rs 10,000 on a trucker`s association for misuse of
public interest litigation (PIL).
The order was issued by division bench of Chief Justice S
J Mukhopadhaya and Justice A S Dave while hearing a PIL filed
by Dahegam Road Transport Janhit Rakshak Committee (DRTJRC).
The Association had filed the PIL demanding that
overloading in trucks should not be permitted and a
weigh-bridge is required. And for this, they had demanded that
the government authorities provide all facilities to curb
"Generally, overloading is done by the truck owners and
not by any other person and before us the Association of truck
owners who are doing such overloading is asking that
overloading should not be done and for that a weigh-bridge is
required," the court said.
"We are of the view that this is misuse of jurisdiction
of this Court if the relief is granted in their favour. There
is no public interest involved," it said.
Court further said, "If the members of the Association
are overloading, they should take care of it and for that if a
weigh-bridge is required they should on their own establish
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa