Guj to hire 600 marine commandos for coastal security
Gandhinagar: To strengthen its security
apparatus along the 1600-km long coastline in the state,
Gujarat government has decided to create a marine commando
unit and recruit 600 personnel for it.
A senior official in the state Home Department said that
the marine commando unit will be created and its headquarter
will be located in Jamnagar district in Saurashtra region.
"We have finalised the details of the project and also
framed the criteria for recruitment of the commandos," he
According to him, recruitment of commandos will begin
very soon and retired officials of Navy and Coastguards will
be engaged to train them. He said that the commandos will be
equipped with state-of-the-art weaponry.
The state Home Department has also sent a proposal to the
Central government for setting up 12 coastal police stations
in the state.
The official also said that so far, the Centre has
alloted three high-speed mechanised vessels for patrolling
along the coastal areas.
Experts with the IAEA`s Scientific Forum also
acknowledged the crucial role energy plays in delivering
healthcare, providing nutrition, enabling education,
manufacturing goods and fuelling transportation and other
The two-day Forum underscored energy`s central role in
advancing social and economic development.
At present, one fourth of the global population, or 1.6
billion people, cannot access modern energy services provided
by electricity. Several speakers termed energy "the missing
Millennium Development Goal", since eradicating poverty is an
essential prerequisite in achieving the goals.
Kandeh Yumkella, Director-General of the United Nations
Industrial Development Organisation, spoke of equivalence
between energy poverty and economic poverty, noting that
wherever access to energy expands, economic growth increases.
In examining another key issue, climate change, an
already visible impact, the Forum highlighted that developing
countries are most vulnerable. Their best defence to counter
that impact is development, which in turn requires increased
access to energy.
The Scientific Forum`s panelists include Andre Mernier,
Secretary General of the Energy Charter Secretariat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL