Gujarat Assembly Election Results 2012: Narendra Modi wins from Maninagar
Ahmedabad: Aiming for a hat-trick, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi notched victory in his Maninagar constituency on Thursday by a huge margin.
Modi won from Maninagar Assembly constituency by over 86,373 votes trouncing Congress rival Shweta, the wife of suspended police officer Sanjeev Bhatt. The widely expected victory triggered noisy celebrations by Bharatiya Janata Party supporters.
The constituency is located on the outskirts of Ahmedabad.
Keshubhai Patel, who heads the Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP), had decided against putting up a candidate in Maninagar to ensure a tough fight for his main rival, Modi of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Riding high on expectation, the Gujarat CM, quoting Swami Vivekananda, had tweeted earlier in the day: "No need of looking behind, FORWARD! We want infinite energy, infinite courage, infinite patience..."
Modi, 62, has ruled Gujarat since October 2001 when he replaced incumbent chief minister Keshubhai Patel.
He became Gujarat`s longest serving chief minister in July 2007 when he completed 2,063 days in office. In December 2007, he led the BJP to victory for the second time in a row.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof