Gujarat Assembly elections 2012: BJP worried about low voter turnout
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat BJP leadership is a worried lot. In 2002 and 2007, Narendra Modi had secured thumping majority with emotional issues like communalism and terrorism resulting in voters coming out to cast their ballot in large numbers. Bu things may not be the same this time around.
According to the Times of India, the Bhartiya Janata Party is worried that in the absence of any big emotive issue in the upcoming Assembly elections in Gujarat, the polling may dip. The reason is that as per past records, a higher voter turnout was instrumental in BJP getting more seats. On the other hand the Congress did well when the polling was low. The Congress won 149 seats in 1985 when the polling was 48.82%. In 1980, it bagged 141 seats when the voting was 48.37%.
Since then, the voting percentage in Assembly polls has risen in state over the years and it has coincided with a rise in BJP`s tally too. The saffron party won 121 seats in 1995 when the voter turnout was 64.39%, 117 in 1998 (59.30%), 127 in 2002 (61.54%) and 117 in 2007 (59.77%), as per TOI.
Chief Minister and star campaigner Narendra Modi has been campaigning relentlessly in his state in the build up to the polls. At the same time he has also been exhorting his party cadres to make sure that voters come out in large numbers on the D-day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'