Gujarat Assembly Elections 2012: Dissidence marks Congress ranks in Guj
Ahmedabad: Still smarting under senior party leader Narhari Amin`s dissidence ahead of the Assembly polls, Gujarat Congress received another jolt on Sunday when a former minister and a sitting MLA severed their ties with the party.
While the minister in erstwhile Congress government Ishwarsinh Chavda joined the BJP, buzz is that Surat district Congress president and Bardoli MLA Kunwarji Halpati may also follow the suit.
Confirming the developments, convener of BJP Media Cell Jagdish Bhavsar told PTI that "former minister Ishwarsinh Chavda today joined BJP while Kunwarji Halpati is expected to join the party on Tuesday."
Halpati was sulking since he was denied ticket by Congress to contest from Gandevi seat (ST) after his constituency Bardoli became a Scheduled Caste seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet