Gujarat Assembly Elections 2012: Lion’s share of tickets to Patels
Ahmedabad: The Bhartiya Janata Party, the Gujarat Parivartan Party and the Congress have released the names of candidates for the first phase of polls in the state and the Leuva Patels have got the biggest share of tickets from the three main political party.
According to a report in the Times of India, Patels have got 52 tickets for the 87 seats which go to poll in the first phase on December 13. The Patel subcaste has got 21 tickets from GPP, 17 from the BJP and 14 from Congress. They are present in large numbers in Saurashtra and Surat.
Keshubhai Patel has a big influence on the Patels and they are a crucial vote-bank. The Kadva Patels have got 25 seats. However, they are expected to bag more tickets in North Gujarat where elections are due in the second phase.
In total, Patels have got 77 tickets out of 198.Keshubhai has given 10 tickets to Kadvas, BJP eight and Congress seven. Kolis who are dominant in the Saurashtra coastline, are the other preferred choice and have got 37 tickets. GPP has given them 14, Congress has given them 12 and BJP has given them 11. On the other hand the Congress has given tickets to three Muslims. The BJP and GPP have not given them any tickets.
OBCs have bagged 44 tickets from the three main political parties, with Ahirs, Mers and Karadiyas being the biggest beneficiary. Upper caste candidates are 30. The Kshatriyas have got 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Infosys denies laying off 500 people, says 'few' asked to leave for non-performance
- Vivek Oberoi to be trained by Daniel Craig's trainer
- Viral Video: Cheating man finds both girlfriends at same place, EXPOSED – See what happened next
- Xiaomi's smartphones sales in India up 72%
- Arun Jaitley may not read out new trains, lines after budget merger