Gujarat Assembly Elections 2012: Lion’s share of tickets to Patels
Ahmedabad: The Bhartiya Janata Party, the Gujarat Parivartan Party and the Congress have released the names of candidates for the first phase of polls in the state and the Leuva Patels have got the biggest share of tickets from the three main political party.
According to a report in the Times of India, Patels have got 52 tickets for the 87 seats which go to poll in the first phase on December 13. The Patel subcaste has got 21 tickets from GPP, 17 from the BJP and 14 from Congress. They are present in large numbers in Saurashtra and Surat.
Keshubhai Patel has a big influence on the Patels and they are a crucial vote-bank. The Kadva Patels have got 25 seats. However, they are expected to bag more tickets in North Gujarat where elections are due in the second phase.
In total, Patels have got 77 tickets out of 198.Keshubhai has given 10 tickets to Kadvas, BJP eight and Congress seven. Kolis who are dominant in the Saurashtra coastline, are the other preferred choice and have got 37 tickets. GPP has given them 14, Congress has given them 12 and BJP has given them 11. On the other hand the Congress has given tickets to three Muslims. The BJP and GPP have not given them any tickets.
OBCs have bagged 44 tickets from the three main political parties, with Ahirs, Mers and Karadiyas being the biggest beneficiary. Upper caste candidates are 30. The Kshatriyas have got 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues