Gujarat by-poll: Moderate turnout till noon in seven seats
Ahmedabad: A moderate turnout was witnessed
till noon at the seven assembly seats in Gujarat where
by-elections sare being held on Thursday.
According to election commission officials, voting has so
far been peaceful with over over 12 lakh voters and around
1590 polling booths in Dehgam, Danta and Sami in north Gujarat
and Dhoraji, Jasdan, Chotila and Kodinar in Saurashtra.
Over 8,000 security personnel have been deployed to
ensure peaceful voting and video recording is being done at
Of the seven seats, six were held by the Congress while
Kodinar seat was with the BJP.
Except Chotila and Sami, by-elections in other five seats
were necessitated following the election of their MLAs as MPs.
In Chotila, its sitting MLA Popat Jinjaria, died a few
months back, necessitating the by-poll while Sami MLA Bhavsinh
Rathod had resigned from the Congress to contest the Lok Sabha
polls, which he lost.
The results for the by-elections will be declared on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur