Gujarat by-poll: Moderate turnout till noon in seven seats
Ahmedabad: A moderate turnout was witnessed
till noon at the seven assembly seats in Gujarat where
by-elections sare being held on Thursday.
According to election commission officials, voting has so
far been peaceful with over over 12 lakh voters and around
1590 polling booths in Dehgam, Danta and Sami in north Gujarat
and Dhoraji, Jasdan, Chotila and Kodinar in Saurashtra.
Over 8,000 security personnel have been deployed to
ensure peaceful voting and video recording is being done at
Of the seven seats, six were held by the Congress while
Kodinar seat was with the BJP.
Except Chotila and Sami, by-elections in other five seats
were necessitated following the election of their MLAs as MPs.
In Chotila, its sitting MLA Popat Jinjaria, died a few
months back, necessitating the by-poll while Sami MLA Bhavsinh
Rathod had resigned from the Congress to contest the Lok Sabha
polls, which he lost.
The results for the by-elections will be declared on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes