Gujarat by-poll: Moderate turnout till noon in seven seats
Ahmedabad: A moderate turnout was witnessed
till noon at the seven assembly seats in Gujarat where
by-elections sare being held on Thursday.
According to election commission officials, voting has so
far been peaceful with over over 12 lakh voters and around
1590 polling booths in Dehgam, Danta and Sami in north Gujarat
and Dhoraji, Jasdan, Chotila and Kodinar in Saurashtra.
Over 8,000 security personnel have been deployed to
ensure peaceful voting and video recording is being done at
Of the seven seats, six were held by the Congress while
Kodinar seat was with the BJP.
Except Chotila and Sami, by-elections in other five seats
were necessitated following the election of their MLAs as MPs.
In Chotila, its sitting MLA Popat Jinjaria, died a few
months back, necessitating the by-poll while Sami MLA Bhavsinh
Rathod had resigned from the Congress to contest the Lok Sabha
polls, which he lost.
The results for the by-elections will be declared on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption