Gujarat CM Modi kickstarts final campaign from Somnath
Gandhinagar: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday began his final round of campaign for the upcoming state Assembly Elections from Somnath.
Modi, who is looking at a third consecutive term at the helm in Gujarat, is expected to tour six places in Saurashtra and southern Gujarat in his last leg of the campaign.
Modi, who is contesting from Ahmedabad`s Maninagar seat, will lock horns with Congress candidate Shweta Bhatt.
Shweta Bhatt is the wife of suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt, who is best known for alleging that the Chief Minister had asked the state police to go slow against rioters in the 2002 Gujarat riots.
Maninagar is a Modi stronghold and he has held this seat since 2002. In 2007, he defeated the Congress candidate by around 75,000 votes.
Meanwhile, senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders Lal Krishna Advani and Sushma Swaraj will be addressing public rallies in Gujarat today.
According to reports, Advani is scheduled to campaign in Gujarat over the next two days, while Swaraj will be addressing a public rally in Vadodara.
Today is also the last day for filing nominations for the second phase of the state Assembly polls, which will be held on December 17. The second phase of election will be held for 95 seats spread across 12 districts of the state.
Gujarat will go to the polls in two phases on December 13 and 17. The counting of votes will take place on December 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'