Gujarat: EC rejects Cong candidate`s nomination form
Rajkot: The Election Commission Monday rejected the nomination papers of the Congress candidate for Visavadar for not providing original mandate in time, paving the way for a straight fight between former Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel and the BJP`s candidate.
Ratibhai Mangroliya from Congress had filed nomination papers on November 23 and submitted a faxed copy of the mandate (which certifies the person as the party`s official candidate). The copy was given after the original was snatched away by an unidentified youth from the hand of Congress district president Leelabhai Khunti at the Sub Divisional Magistrate`s office.
"Nomination of Congress candidate was rejected after he failed to provide mandate forms on the last date for the filing of nomination papers on November 24," Returning Officer K S Ghelot said today.
After the mandate was snatched away, the Gujarat Congress headquarters had faxed the copy and which was submitted with the nomination papers. The party today said it would challenge the EC`s decision to reject the faxed copy.
"We have decided to file a writ petition in the Gujarat High Court," Khunti said.
In the absence of the Congress` candidate, the contest would be between GPP president Keshubhai Patel and BJP`s sitting MLA Kanubhai Bhalala.
The BJP has alleged that the theft of the mandate was part of an "understanding" between Patel -- who recently quit the saffron party to take on Chief Minister Narendra Modi -- and Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video