Gujarat Election Results 2012: Is Modi headed to Delhi?
Ahemdabad: With major poll surveys predicting a landslide for the Narendra Modi government in Gujarat, speculations are rife that the hardline Hindutva leader may well be projected as BJP’s prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 General Election.
Lending credence to the speculation are the predictions by major poll surveys that Modi government will improve its 2007 tally and the main opposition Congress will sink further.
If the outcome of the Assembly elections in Gujarat match the expectations, it will be the fifth consecutive victory of the ruling BJP in Gujarat- two under Keshubhai Patel and three under Modi.
Moreover, if the ruling party manages to improve its 2002 and 2007 tally, it will further enhance Modi’s stature in the BJP and increase his political weight as an ideal challenger to Congress scion Rahul Gandhi if the two are projected as the prime ministerial candidate from their respective parties.
A good show in Gujarat will eventually make Modi the first among equals in the BJP. The absence of any worthwhile challenger may even compel the BJP central leadership to prepare Modi for a larger role in the national politics.
However, the main opposition party is also aware of the risks it faces in projecting Modi as its prime ministerial candidate given his image of an anti-minority leader.
While a section of BJP leaders believe that only Modi can reinvigorate the Hindu nationalist party, there is an equally strong lobby which opposes him on grounds that it will distract the minorities.
For BJP, having Modi as its prime ministerial candidate could throttle the party`s efforts to recapture lost ground in northern states such as Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, which have a sizable chunk of Muslims.
BJP also risks losing key allies it needs to form a national government. Nitish Kumar, the Chief Minister of Bihar would probably shun a BJP-led coalition with Modi at the helm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy