Gujarat election results 2012: Narendra Modi baiters bite the dust
Ahmedabad: As Narendra Modi stamped his authority over Gujarat on Thursday with a third consecutive win in the Assembly Elections, those opposing his impending prime ministerial bid now have foot in their mouth.
The BJP appeared set to return to power with a landslide – over 120 of the total 182 seats.
If this turns out to be the final result, then the BJP would have even bettered its 2007 tally.
Prior to the counting day, many within the BJP had said that only a better tally than 2007 elections would add strength to Modi’s PM bid. They had stressed that even if Modi wins but the victory margin is lower than the last time, his bid would then suffer a setback.
However, Modi has silenced all his critics. Even though many BJP leaders have sought to describe the Gujarat win as a modest one and a collective victory, including Rajiv Pratap Rudy, none can dispute the fact that if not for Modi, the win would not have been a landslide.
And there are many within the BJP who have openly endorsed Modi for PM, including Smriti Irani.
From today onwards, it would be difficult for the top BJP leadership to ignore Modi’s candidature for the PM’s post any further.
Also, in Gujarat, all his baiters, including Keshubhai Patel, IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt’s wife Shweta Bhatt, Arjun Modhwadia and Dr Kanubhai Kalsaria, have in some way or the other bitten dust.
While former BJP leader and state CM Keshubhai Patel’s GPP has managed to win only two seats, state Congress chief Modhwadia has lost election. Shweta Bhatt, who fought election on a Congress ticket, and BJP rebel Dr Kanubhai Kalsaria too have met the same fate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27