Gujarat elections 2012: ‘Was Narendra Modi sleeping like a Kumbhakaran?’
Vadodra: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Saturday accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of playing politics with the issues of national security.
While addressing press on the last day of campaigning in Gujarat, Tewari attacked Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, saying: “We do not need Modi certificate for serving people of Gujarat. We also need no lessons from those who surrendered at Kandahar.”
On the issue of Sir Creek, Tewari said the Gujarat Chief Minister was resorting to “shallow and superficial politicking” to shore up his “faltering” political fortunes.
Earlier on Wednesday, Modi had written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sir Creek issue.
Further taking a dig at the state BJP government, Tewari said, “Was Gujarat CM sleeping like a ‘Kumbhakaran’ when thousands of kids were falling into the trap of malnutrition?”
"The truth is that in the past 11 years, Gujarat`s people have not developed. Only some crony capitalists have benefitted. And to divert attention from these matters, Gujarat`s chief minister plays political football with sensitive international issues like Sir Creek," Tewari said.
Tewari backed his claims with several questions to the Gujarat government and to Modi.
"Why has the Gujarat government not implemented the Right to Education," he asked.
"Gujaratis have immigrated to other lands and prospered and made India famous. And yet, why is Gujarat at 27th place in terms of English education in rural areas," Tewari wanted to know.
"Why is Gujarat in 17th place on the issue of anaemia, especially among women? Why don`t the poor have houses to live in? Why is Gujarat behind other industralised states in terms of per capita income," Tewari asked.
"Lastly, Modi keeps on harping about his government being corruption-free. If that is the case, then why is there no Lokayukta in Gujarat," Tewari asked.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues