Gujarat polls 2012: Record 68 percent turnout in phase 1
Rajkot/Ahmedabad: A record 68 percent voter turnout was registered in the first phase of the Gujarat Assembly elections on Thursday in the biggest electoral test for BJP stalwart and Chief Minister Narendra Modi who is seeking a third straight term.
The fate of state`s top political leaders including the the fledgling Gujarat Parivartan Party(GPP) president Keshubhai Patel, a former Chief Minister and Modi`s bete noire, BJP`s R C Faldu and Congress` Arjun Modhwadia were sealed in the polling in 87 of the 182 Assembly constituencies.
The voting amid tight security was peaceful barring a couple of incidents of violence and a few complaints of technical glitches in Electronic Voting Machines(EVM).
"67.65 percent voting has taken place in the phase one of the state elections," Chief Electoral Officer Anita Karval said in Ahmedabad tonight.
The second phase will be held on December 17 while the counting of votes will be taken up on December 20.
Today`s polling covered 48 in seven districts of Saurashtra region, 35 seats in seven districts of south Gujarat and four seats in Ahmedabad district.
The high voter turnout in Saurashtra and South Gujarat is being considered significant by the political observers.
The Saurashtra region, which is home to the powerful Patel community, could pose a tough challenge to Modi with Keshubhai Patel, who quit the BJP to form GPP, leading the charge. Modi succeeded Patel in 2001 as Chief Minister before he led BJP to thumping victories in 2002 and 2007.
Today`s voter turnout is the highest in the elections held so far in Gujarat.
The highest polling recorded earlier was 63.70 per in 1967 elections. In 2007, the voter turnout was 59.77 per cent.
Even in 2002, when Gujarat was riding on the pro-BJP wave, 61.55 per cent voting was recorded.
"Just as Gujarat broke the record by registering 68 per cent record voter turnout, the BJP will break all records in winning the state assembly elections," Modi said, addressing an election rally in Vadodara.
The assembly constituencies of Jasdan and Morbi registered 79 per cent polling, the highest in Rajkot district, collector and chief election officer Rajendra Kumar said.
"The voting was peaceful and three was no major incident of violence registered," he said.
Of the 2,582 EVMs deployed for voting, only six had to be replaced, he said, adding there were 64 complaints, mainly pertaining to missing of names from the voters` list.
The average voting in the district was little over 69 per cent with Jasdan and Morbi topping the list at 79 per cent each followed by Dhoraji (75 per cent), Jetpur (72), Wankaner (70) Rajkot East (67), Rajkot Rural (67), Rajkot West (65), Rajkot South (64) and Tankara (60 per cent), he said.
Elsewhere in Saurashtra region, Amreli recorded 66 per cent voting followed by Bhavnagar (65), Jamnagar (65), Porbandar (65), Surendra Nagar (62) Junagadh (59), an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow