Gujarat polls 2012: Record 68 percent turnout in phase 1
Rajkot/Ahmedabad: A record 68 percent voter turnout was registered in the first phase of the Gujarat Assembly elections on Thursday in the biggest electoral test for BJP stalwart and Chief Minister Narendra Modi who is seeking a third straight term.
The fate of state`s top political leaders including the the fledgling Gujarat Parivartan Party(GPP) president Keshubhai Patel, a former Chief Minister and Modi`s bete noire, BJP`s R C Faldu and Congress` Arjun Modhwadia were sealed in the polling in 87 of the 182 Assembly constituencies.
The voting amid tight security was peaceful barring a couple of incidents of violence and a few complaints of technical glitches in Electronic Voting Machines(EVM).
"67.65 percent voting has taken place in the phase one of the state elections," Chief Electoral Officer Anita Karval said in Ahmedabad tonight.
The second phase will be held on December 17 while the counting of votes will be taken up on December 20.
Today`s polling covered 48 in seven districts of Saurashtra region, 35 seats in seven districts of south Gujarat and four seats in Ahmedabad district.
The high voter turnout in Saurashtra and South Gujarat is being considered significant by the political observers.
The Saurashtra region, which is home to the powerful Patel community, could pose a tough challenge to Modi with Keshubhai Patel, who quit the BJP to form GPP, leading the charge. Modi succeeded Patel in 2001 as Chief Minister before he led BJP to thumping victories in 2002 and 2007.
Today`s voter turnout is the highest in the elections held so far in Gujarat.
The highest polling recorded earlier was 63.70 per in 1967 elections. In 2007, the voter turnout was 59.77 per cent.
Even in 2002, when Gujarat was riding on the pro-BJP wave, 61.55 per cent voting was recorded.
"Just as Gujarat broke the record by registering 68 per cent record voter turnout, the BJP will break all records in winning the state assembly elections," Modi said, addressing an election rally in Vadodara.
The assembly constituencies of Jasdan and Morbi registered 79 per cent polling, the highest in Rajkot district, collector and chief election officer Rajendra Kumar said.
"The voting was peaceful and three was no major incident of violence registered," he said.
Of the 2,582 EVMs deployed for voting, only six had to be replaced, he said, adding there were 64 complaints, mainly pertaining to missing of names from the voters` list.
The average voting in the district was little over 69 per cent with Jasdan and Morbi topping the list at 79 per cent each followed by Dhoraji (75 per cent), Jetpur (72), Wankaner (70) Rajkot East (67), Rajkot Rural (67), Rajkot West (65), Rajkot South (64) and Tankara (60 per cent), he said.
Elsewhere in Saurashtra region, Amreli recorded 66 per cent voting followed by Bhavnagar (65), Jamnagar (65), Porbandar (65), Surendra Nagar (62) Junagadh (59), an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla