Gujarat polls 2012: Shankarsinh Vaghela files nomination papers
Ahmedabad: Former Gujarat chief minister and senior Congress leader Shankarsinh Vaghela today filed his nomination papers from Kapadvanj Assembly constituency in Kheda district.
Recently-appointed Union Mines Minister Dinsha Patel was present on the occasion. Kapadvanj has a high number of Khastriya voters; Vaghela belongs to this community.
"Congress will win 112 seats and form government," he told reporters.
Responding to Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s barb that the party should declare Ahmed Patel -- political secretary to Congress president Sonia Gandhi -- as its Chief Ministerial candidate, Vaghela said, "Ahmed Patel has no interest in Gujarat`s politics. Who will become the Chief Minister will be decided by Congress president."
Meanwhile, there was no end to rebellions within the Gujarat Congress with resignations coming in.
Sitting MLA from Chaklasi, Shankarbhai Vaghela, has quit Congress after the party decided to field Natwarsinh Thakor from Mahudha seat.
Chaklasi is no longer an Assembly constituency post- delimitation. Shankarbhai`s supporters today protested in front of Dinsha Patel`s residence.
Shankarbhai has filed nomination as an independent.
Congress has fielded Sanjay Patel from Matar; protesting against this, Kalidas Parmar`s supporters burnt an effigy of Dinsha Patel.
MLA from Kalupur, Farooq Sheikh, who was also denied ticket, has also rebelled and filed nomination as an independent from Ahmedabad city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today