Gujarat polls: 65% turnout in 2nd phase
Ahmedabad, Dec 16: The second phase of assembly elections in Gujarat drew to a close on Sunday, with a voter turnout of 63-65%, informed the Election Commission in a media briefing. The fate of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as well as 598 other candidates, who contested on 95 seats, was sealed in the electronic voting machines.
The Election Commission said that the second phase witnessed between 63-65% voter turnout, while 60% voting had taken place in the first phase on December 11. However, Godhra recorded a 53% voter turnout today.
Barring some stray incidents of stone-pelting, complaints of names missing from voters` list and faulty EVMs, the polling in 25,545 booths of North and Central Gujarat regions was largely incident-free.
The counting of the votes will be held on December 23. About 1,87,16,283 voters (95,66,234 males and 91,50,049 females) sealed the fate of 599 candidates, including 31 women in 95 constituencies.
Despite the winter chill, a large number of people turned up for voting since morning.
Both the Congress and the ruling BJP have staked claim of gaining a majority in the 182-seat state Assembly and forming the next government in Gujarat.
The regions where the second phase of elections took place today were among the worst-affected in the 2002 riots.
Elections for 87 Assembly seats were conducted on December 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- 3D model demonstrates how sea waves transport materials within aquatic ecosystems
- Two legends, one pic! Amitabh Bachchan shares memorable moment with father Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Rohan Bopanna, Leander Paes reach French Open quarters
- Narendra Modi addresses 'Vikas Parv' rally in Karnataka, unveils cooking gas scheme for poor
- Vidya Balan would love to be directed by brother-in-law