Gujarat polls: Narhari Amin targets Gujarat Congress leaders for defection
Rajkot: Former Congress leader Narhari Amin who recently crossed over to BJP has alleged that senior leaders of the faction-ridden Opposition party in Gujarat subverted ticket distribution process for elections, which prompted party cadres to defect.
"Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee president Arjun Modhvadiya, Opposition leader Shaktisinh Gohil and Congress` election campaign committee chairman Shankarsinh Vaghela are competing each other to become chief minister and flouted party norms in ticket allocation," Amin said.
When asked by reporters what prompted him to sever his ties with Congress, the former deputy chief minister said, "It is improper that senior leaders of Congress like me were kept in the dark in ticket allocation and I felt insulted and decided to join BJP".
Amin is in Rajkot to participate in election campaign on behalf of the ruling BJP.
When asked whether Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who is also the president of Gujarat Cricket Association (GCA), has promised him any post in the organisation, Amin replied in negative, saying he joined BJP "without any expectation".
Seeking to punch holes in the Congress` claims, Amin said, "Congress` promises of giving laptops to students and free treatment to patients suffering from heart and kidney ailments, are impracticable and a poll gimmick".
Elections will be held in Gujarat in two phases on December 13 and 17.
Amin`s entry into the BJP is expected to boost its prospects in the Saurashtra region where renegade saffron party leader and former Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel`s newly launched Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) is putting a stiff challenge to Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’