Gujarat polls: Narhari Amin targets Gujarat Congress leaders for defection
Rajkot: Former Congress leader Narhari Amin who recently crossed over to BJP has alleged that senior leaders of the faction-ridden Opposition party in Gujarat subverted ticket distribution process for elections, which prompted party cadres to defect.
"Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee president Arjun Modhvadiya, Opposition leader Shaktisinh Gohil and Congress` election campaign committee chairman Shankarsinh Vaghela are competing each other to become chief minister and flouted party norms in ticket allocation," Amin said.
When asked by reporters what prompted him to sever his ties with Congress, the former deputy chief minister said, "It is improper that senior leaders of Congress like me were kept in the dark in ticket allocation and I felt insulted and decided to join BJP".
Amin is in Rajkot to participate in election campaign on behalf of the ruling BJP.
When asked whether Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who is also the president of Gujarat Cricket Association (GCA), has promised him any post in the organisation, Amin replied in negative, saying he joined BJP "without any expectation".
Seeking to punch holes in the Congress` claims, Amin said, "Congress` promises of giving laptops to students and free treatment to patients suffering from heart and kidney ailments, are impracticable and a poll gimmick".
Elections will be held in Gujarat in two phases on December 13 and 17.
Amin`s entry into the BJP is expected to boost its prospects in the Saurashtra region where renegade saffron party leader and former Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel`s newly launched Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) is putting a stiff challenge to Narendra Modi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India