Gujarat riot victims hail HC’s directive to interrogate Modi
Surat: Families, which were victimised during the communal riots of 2002 in Gujarat, have expressed their happiness at the Gujarat High Court`s green signal to the Special Investigation Team (SIT) to interrogate state Chief Minister Narenda Modi for his role in the riots.
Zakia Jaffrey, whose husband Ehsan Jaffrey, ex-Congress MP was killed during the Gulburg society riots along with 39 others, hailed the decision.
"I am happy with the High Court decision. Now, the hidden facts will be known to the world. I am happy that the team will investigate Modi`s role," said Jaffrey.
The court directive came in response to a petition filed by Zakia Jaffrey.
In her complaint, Jaffrey alleged that Modi, his cabinet colleagues, police officials and senior bureaucrats aided and abetted the riots.
Meanwhile, the Congress Party welcomed the High Court`s decision and also shared Jaffrey`s views.
"I don`t want to make any comment on the decision since it is sub-judice. The Supreme Court is looking into it. I think it is the beginning of justice in Gujarat," said Shaktisinh Gohil, Leader of Opposition.
The Supreme Court had earlier ordered the SIT to probe the complaint within three months and submit its report. Maliwad, who was acquitted, has said that the Supreme Court had directed the SIT to look into Jaffrey`s complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video