Gujarat to ask court to fix compensation for Sohrabuddin`s family
Gandhinagar: Gujarat government is likely
to move an application in the sessions court for deciding the
quantum of compensation to Sohrabuddin`s family following his
killing in an alleged fake encounter by Gujarat ATS and
Rajasthan police in 2005.
"The Supreme Court has asked us to give compensation
to Sohrabuddin`s brother, who had approached the court seeking
compensation. We will now approach the trial court here where
the case has been committed for trial, to decide the amount to
be paid as compensation," a senior official in the Home
department, who handles the case, told a news agency.
He added that the apex Court has left it to the
discretion of the state to fix the compensation.
"The court has left it to us but we will approach the
trial court to fix the amount for us because the trial court
is the competent authority to decide the same," the official
"Even if the trial in the case is stayed, we will
request the court to quantify the compensation amount as an
interim measure," the official added.
When asked whether Rubabbuddin, Sohrabuddin`s brother,
had written to the state government for compensation, the
official replied in the negative saying nobody approached the
state government claiming compensation for the alleged fake
"They have not approached us. Sohrabuddin`s brother
have directly approached the Apex Court and subsequently the
court has passed direction to us based on his application," he
It may be noted that on August 4, the Apex Court had
directed the state of Gujarat to compensate the brother of
deceased, as he is suffering from cancer.
The Court had also asked the state to quantify the
compensation to be paid to Rubabuddin, who has been fighting
the encounter case in the Supreme Court.
Sohrabuddin was killed in an allegedly fake encounter
carried out jointly by Gujarat Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS) and
After the Supreme Court directed the state to
investigate the case, the state CID crime officials had
investigated the case, and admitted that it was a fake
encounter and arrested more than a dozen police officials
including ATS IG DG vanzara, SP Rajkumar Pandian and Rajasthan
cadre IPS officer M N Dinesh.
The police officials are lodged in Sabarmati central
jail since their arrest in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars